Doing the Right Thing
Book Cost: included
Hours: 7.5hours (You finish 1/3 of your 22.5
hours of continuing education required by the State.)
- Ethics and the practice of Real Estate
Understanding principles and values is dealing with the confusing, complex
and sometimes contradictory laws, rules and codes of conduct that govern
real estate practitioners.
- Ethical Systems
Personal values and principles, formulate a personal code of ethics. Become
aware of laws and regulations. Develop and implement a rational model for
ethical decision making.
- Professional Perspective
Professional practice standards: as a real estate professional should your
conduct be judged by the professional standards or by reasonable personal
standards? What are the advantages and limitations of a company or industry
code of ethics?
- Applying Ethics: Agency
- What are the state laws, rules, and regulations on agency
relationships in your state?
- What are your company’s policies regarding relationships with buyers
- When is it appropriate to establish your relationship with buyers
- Applying Ethics: Fair Housing
- Is protection for certain class of people necessary? Should other
protected classes be added to the fair housing laws?
- In a late 1996 HUD letter, buyer brokers were advised that they may
show properties in certain neighborhoods or areas based on specific
request from clients regarding racial or religious preference. HUD later
rescinded its opinion and advised real estate professionals to disregard
their buyers’ ethnic preferences. What do you think?
- As you see it, what is the purpose of fair housing laws?
- If there were no fair housing laws, do you think brokers would
conduct themselves differently? Why or why not?
- Applying Ethics: Stigmatized Property
- What are the laws, if any, in your state regarding stigmatized
- Besides crime and AIDS, what other occurrences could stigmatize
- What does the term material mean in reference to the physical
structure of a property?
- What reasons might buyers have for deciding a property was
- Applying Ethics: Environmental Hazards and other Physical Defects
- To what extent should pervious property owners be responsible for
environmental hazards that they did not cause?
- Should agents encourage buyers to have environmental audits
performed on property in which they are interested? Should seller-agents
encourage buyers to do so?
- What responsibility, if any, do real estate professional have toward
safeguarding the environment?
- Applying Ethics: Working with Colleagues and Employers
- What is your company policy for dealing with problems among the
sales force? With other offices? Describe frequent conflicts among
in-house staff and with competing brokerages.
- Describe some win/win conflict resolution techniques you have used
- What should you do if you determine that your employer has behaved
in an unethical manner? What if your employer has violated the law?
- What steps should you take in terminating your relationship with
your present employer? What steps should a broker and manager take in
terminating a salesperson affiliation?
- Develop a sexual harassment policy for a real estate office.
- Applying Ethics: Community and Public Concerns
- What are some ways real estate professionals can use their skills in
- What are some ways real estate professionals can celebrate success
other than publishing dollar volume of top producers?
- Should real estate professionals be politically active? Why or why